Saturday, August 25, 2012

Fiction Book Review: The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club By Gil McNeil


My kids rolled their eyes, but completely got it, when I couldn’t resist buying The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club by Gil McNeil. I first spotted a book by this author at the Brighton Library, but it was the second or third in the trilogy. After reading a sample and loving it, I jotted down the author’s name and went home. Since I so badly wanted a book that would hit me just the right way after having had an especially trying spring and summer, I didn’t want to wait for the library to borrow a copy from another location, so I bought the above-mentioned title from Amazon. In case anyone noticed the author’s name, I should mention that I did check Gil’s gender before buying and was relieved to discover that she is a she. I’m sorry if this offends anyone, but I am not interested in reading a book about knitting and women’s friendships written by a man.


After waiting what seemed like a long time, but in reality was only about one week, the book arrived. At first, I really liked it because there’s a bit of poetic justice that is irresistible and the main character is very likeable. However, my joy soon changed to boredom and frustration, as I slowly plodded through the chapters. Nothing much happens, page after page after page. The author did a fine job of creating a three-dimensional main character who engenders empathy in the reader. However, the peripheral characters are lacking in their development, and there is minimal conflict; in other words, most of the characters are duds and nothing much happens. That explains the boredom; now I will tell you why I am so frustrated.

I have been slightly tempted to look back and count the number of times the author used “Christ.” It probably appeared once every couple of pages. I can ignore this if it happens once or twice, but to keep going on and on with it…..Then, I can’t. The thing I really don’t understand about this is that it’s almost always someone who doesn’t even believe in God who uses His name incorrectly and thus disrespectfully. I’m sick of this. To all you non-Christians out there: Stop. Pick a name of someone or something you at least believe in to throw around so loosely. It’s offensive – highly offensive (or so it should be) – to those who love Him and believe that He is Lord.

I borrowed the second book in the series, Needles and Pearls, from the library when I was still just starting the first because I incorrectly assumed that I would finish very quickly. Oh well. I guess I won’t be reading the third, Knit One, Purl One either. Too bad. The titles are so fantastic! I guess you really can’t judge a book by its cover -- or title for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment