Monday, March 19, 2012

Goodbye, Our Dear Friend, Pastor Don Sweeney


Today was one of the worst days of my life. It didn’t start out that way. It started out with John waking up sick, which is bad enough, but pretty normal at my house. So, I had to tell my Dad that he couldn’t visit because we try with all our might not to spread germs to him since it can make him very sick. I suggested that I bring Charlotte to visit him, since she is having a birthday and they were both excited about her gifts: him giving and her receiving. He thought it was a great idea, so a little while later, we headed out. Just as I turned onto my Dad’s street, I got a call from my husband, who was obviously sobbing, saying that Pastor Don Sweeney had just passed away that morning. My whole body started shaking and it took all I had to finish the drive safely.

Don Sweeney was one of my family’s closest friends. He was so close, in fact, that he was really more like family, as we also consider the rest of his immediate relatives. He was our pastor for many years when we attended Community Bible Church. He baptized our oldest son, counseled us for numerous hours, and was a wonderful example of a man whose heart longed to share Christ. He had the caring, deeply loving heart of a pastor, and the gospel of the God he loved so much was what he wanted to share with whomever he met or wherever he preached.


Don’s life had a lot of sorrow and difficulty. From a challenging childhood to job difficulties to a new house that burned down and had to be completely rebuilt to health issues, and so on, and still Don  loved God and loved others. Finally, the health problems became too much, and that brings us to this shocking and unbelievably sad day.

We will all miss him so much. We will miss his laugh, his wisdom, his concern for others, his love of movies, which we sometimes watched together, his love of the Pistons whose games we sometimes enjoyed together, and on the list goes. We will miss seeing him walk by with Buster, his beagle. We will miss our dinners and walks with him and his wife, Sherry. Enough can’t be said about Sherry – about what a strong person she is, a tower of steel in fact, but that’s a whole other story. Today is about Don. Yesterday, he was here, at his little grandson’s birthday party. Everything seemed okay, family said. But, today, all that has changed. Our dear friend, husband to Sherry, father to Becca, Rachel, and Morgan, grandfather, is gone. We will miss him so much. I keep reminding myself that he is now in heaven and at peace. He is pain-free and with God. We are without him now, but, Lord willing, we will see each other again some day. Rest in peace, Pastor Don. And this is for you, just as you said from the pulpit way back when:

                “No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.” John Donne

No comments:

Post a Comment